Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston to join Daisy Ridley and Stephen Graham in Disney+ movie
Christopher Eccleston is to join the cast of Disney+’s upcoming movie Young Woman and the Sea.
The former Doctor Who star, who played the Ninth incarnation of the Timelord in the BBC sci-fi series, will join Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley, Tilda Cobham-Hervey and Stephen Graham in a production that is being directed by Joachim Rønning, reports Deadline.
The movie is about Gertrude Ederle (who will played by Ridley), an American swimming champion who competed in the Olympics in the 1920s. Based on a book by Glenn Scout, viewers can expect to see the daughter of a German butcher triumph in the 1924 Olympics, swim more than 20 miles from Battery Park in New York to New Jersey as well as in 1926 become the first ever woman to swim across the English Channel.
At present it is not clear which character Christopher Eccleston will play in the movie.
An established star of film and television, beyond Doctor Who Eccleston’s impressive television credits include The Leftovers (pictured above), Come Home, The A Word, Our Friends in the North, Accused and Safe House. Eccleston has also appeared in many movies throughout his career including Shallow Grave, Elizabeth, Gone in 60 Seconds, The Others, 28 Days Later and Legend to name but a few.
No release date details are currently available for Young Woman and the Sea.
For the best TV and Movie reviews visit the Screen OD YouTube channel
- The best Doctor Who episodes of all time
- Try our Doctor Who quiz questions and answers
- Can you beat the David Tennant Doctor Who quiz?
- Looking for some entertainment? Have you tried our general knowledge quiz questions and answers yet?
- Want to supercharge your streaming? Take a look at our guide to Netflix secret codes for TV and movie fans
- Love TV and movies? Try Screen OD on YouTube...